Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:25:11 -0600
From:      Darren WIebe <dkwiebe@mail.cadvision.com>
To:        Ian J Greely <ian@tirnanog.org>
Cc:        Manfred Usselmann <Usselmann.M@icg-online.de>, "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: WYSIWYG word processor needed

Ian J Greely wrote:
I have a port done up that will install StarOffice 5.1 from sun.  You
will
need the new applicat.rdb file.  It explains how to get that in the
Makefile.
You will also need "so51a_lnx_01.tar" in your
/usr/ports/distfiles/directory"
Point netscape to "www.hagenhomes.com/staroffice51a.tar"  and save it as
whatever
file you want.  Now untar it.  Now you should make a tmp directory under
/usr/compat/linux
You will have to go into an x-window and su to root before typing make
install.
Please be aware that I cannot guarantee that it will not mess up your
system.  I do not think that it will. but....  Put it this way, I have
not
hacked makefiles for years.  If you have any patches for me I would
appreciate
them.  Also it will not uninstall itself.

You will need a file in your home directory called ".sversionrc" this
file must have
only the following line in it.

StarOffice 5.1=/usr/local/Office51

If that is were you have chosen to install it.

Please also be aware that I do not feel that this port is ready for the
mainstream, nor
would anybody else, I'm sure.  I just thought that I would make it
available because of
the amount of StarOffice related questions on this list in the past
several days.  Please
excuse me if it screws up your system or does any other irreparable
damage.  You might want
to look through the makefile before you install it.

Darren Wiebe
dkwiebe@hagenhomes.com

> Thanks for the clarification Manfred. I like this new model but it
> does concern me that the more profitable products will be those that
> fail the most. Umm...
>
> Out of interest has anyone actually configured it up? I tried on 3.2
> but went to bed when it started
> to complain of missing linux compatability modules...
>
> I use in on Doze though... and I've stopped helping "family N friends"
> using Office now that there is an
> alternative I can get them running. :-)
>
> Great business move by Sun. Pity about the damn thing trying to take
> over the computer once it's installed.

*** MUCH CUT OUT***