Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 19:46:10 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Jeremy Nyam (ESM)" <Jeremy.Nyam@esm.ericsson.se>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIC

"Jeremy Nyam (ESM)" writes:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to install FreeBSD 2.2.2 and would like to use the Intel Pro/100
> S Desktop Adapter. I wonder if the fxp driver that comes with FreeBsd can be
> used for the card stated. The reason is that Intel EtherExpress Pro 100/B is
> no more available for purchase. Please advice. Appreciate it.

Let me suggest you buy a copy (or download) of FreeBSD 4.2. You'll be
happier. As to the NIC, FreeBSD 4.2 says:

FXP(4)                 FreeBSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                 FXP(4)

NAME
     fxp - Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B ethernet device driver

SYNOPSIS
     device fxp

DESCRIPTION
     The fxp driver provides support for the EtherExpress Pro/10, Pro/100B,
     and Pro/100+ PCI Fast Ethernet adapters based on the Intel i82557 or
     i82559 ethernet chips.

[...]

I suggest you check on the chip number of the proposed NIC. Am pretty
sure its going to work (its PCI, right?) Am pretty sure the i82558 is
on a couple of cards I use with fxp.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net