Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 1996 07:40:38 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <cy@cwsys.cwent.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        FREEBSD-SECURITY-L <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Risk of having bpf0? (was URGENT: Packet sniffer found on my system)

>     What are people's feelings on enabling devices like bpf or snp
> in the kernel on a public server?  Obviously, had I not compiled bpf
> into the shell and Web server kernels, this particular incident would
> never have happened.  However, I like to have access to tcpdump to
> check for things like ping floods, and trafshow to see where bytes are
> being sent.

You're better of putting these tools and enabling the kernel for them on
another machine on the network.

Cy Schubert                    OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
Open Systems Support          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
ITSD                        Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       cschuber@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

                "Quit spooling around, JES do it."