Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:05:37 +0530
From:      Suresh Ramasubramanian <mallet@efn.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Solved Re: 4.2 upgrade, local.mailer ,  Sendmail breaks

Jonathan Chen rearranged electrons thusly:

> checking directory permissions, I discovered that the only difference
> was the cf file. Had a look at /usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc, and
> found the 2 magic lines.
> It should have been a FAQ!

It _is_ a FAQ (or rather, the sendmail install docs are quite explicit about it)

I prefer to compile sendmail by hand - and the paths seem to be rather altered
in freebsd, but still ...

mallet@mjollnir:~ pwd
/usr/src/sendmail-8.11.2/

from the file "INSTALL"

> 4. Change to the cf/cf/ directory (that's not a typo): Copy whichever .mc
>   file best matches your environment to config.mc, where config can be any
>   name.  Next, tailor it as explained in cf/README.  Then run
>   "sh Build config.cf".

and ...

mallet@mjollnir:~> ls /usr/src/sendmail-8.11.2/cf/cf/|grep -i bsd
generic-bsd4.4.cf
generic-bsd4.4.mc

which has

divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`$Id: generic-bsd4.4.mc,v 8.10 1999/02/07 07:26:02 gshapiro Exp $')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
DOMAIN(generic)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org