Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2014 20:12:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn@magemana.nl>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>, Frederic Culot <culot@freebsd.org>, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porters Handbook update

On Sun, 6 Jul 2014, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Frederic Culot <culot@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Beloved porters,
>>
>> following some discussions related to the rights and duties of ports
>> maintainers it became obvious that our handbook was not specific enough
>> on the matter. Hence an update was committed that aims at clarifying
>> the notion of maintainership and all porters are invited to peruse the
>> changes:
>>

>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/makefile-maintainer.html
>>
>> And of course, a big thanks to all of you who dedicate their time to
>> maintain our ports!
>>

>> Frederic, with portmgr-secretary hat on
>>

> "excluding major public holidays" to what segment of the public?

Easy fix: exluding local (to the maintainer) bank holidays.

However, in practice, it's not enforced that strict. Some periods people
work 90 hours a week, some periods they have their weekends and some
periods they leave the house when they have them.

But, I'm rather surprised that maintainers now get their
responsibilities spelled out, while there's no section on committers,
and quite a shortage of them. From my own experience, there have been
people coaching me and I thank them for it, but on average I have to
chase down the PR's to get them committed. This takes time out of the
maintaining part, especially if you work on ports that require
dependencies to be updated or entered into the tree before they can be
updated or entered. And let me stress this, this by no means an attack
on individual committers or committers as a group. It is an observation
of resources in order to discuss possible solutions.

By this post [1], "Getting a commit bit does not obligate you to
process PRs". Isn't it time to:

- relax (and spell out) requirements for ports-comitters
and / or:
- add processing PR's to the responsibilities of ports-comitters

I've skimmed what I considered relevant sections of the committers-guide
and did not find much. If I missed it, feel free to point me to the
section.

[1]
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2014-January/089221.html

--