Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:22:10 -0800
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mozilla plugins broken after port upgrade

Chris Hill wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Micah wrote:
>
>> Chris Hill wrote:
>

> [snip]
>
>>> The specific issues are with acroread7, flash and mplayer-plugin. All
>>> of these worked as plug-ins before the upgrade, but now none of them do.
>

> [snip]
>
>> Search the list archives for "Flash Plugin in 6.0" and "Flash no
>> longer displayed in Firefox".
>

> Neither of those search terms yields any results, but you've given me
> another direction to look. I searched the archives yet again, this time
> on 'linuxpluginwrapper'. Found
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=751336+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2005/freebsd-questions/20051120.freebsd-questions
>

> ...based on which, I did
> # ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so
> /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/
>
> This fixed things partially. A visit to
> http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
> shows that "regular" flash works, but not shockwave.
>
> Still no luck with PDFs or mplayer-plugin.
>
> Another result from my archive search was
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1310074+1313109+/usr/local/www/db/text/2005/freebsd-questions/20051120.freebsd-questions
> ...which revealed the existence of the WITH_PLUGINS make knob for
> linuxpluginwrapper, so I did
> tripel# cd /usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper
> tripel# make deinstall
> tripel# make -DWITH_PLUGINS reinstall
>
> ...which resulted in no change.
>
> I'm at a loss regarding the mplayer-plugin stuff. As for Acrobat, I'd
> bet it has something to do with the disappearance of the path
> /usr/compat/linux/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/bin, but
> I don't know how that came to exist or why it no longer does.
>
>> It's an issue with the linuxpluginwrapper port, several methods to
>> make it work are described in those recent threads.
>

> Thank you for the pointer, especially for the speed of your post.
>
>> HTH,
>> Micah
>

> It did, a little. Thank you.
>
> But it's still vexing that all this stuff worked fine before, and that
> the upgrade seems to have broken it. I'm also curious why
> "about:plugins" shows, for example, mplayer-plugin installed for a wide
> variety of MIME-types, but trying to access online videos no longer
> starts mplayer-plugin as it did before the upgrade.
>
> My meta-question remains: Is this documented, and if so, where?
>
> --
> Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
> **                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

The mailman search interface is screwed up, and the FreeBSD search
engine and Google haven't indexed recent threads yet.  A look through
December's archives would've turned these up.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-December/107922.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-December/107098.html

HTH,
Micah