Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:27:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
To:        mike <mike@coloradosurf.com>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: named dying on INSIST

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, mike wrote:

> I humbly ask the great minds . . .
>
> Has anyone seen this or can lend insight?
>
> Over the weekend, my named (primary nameserver) died unexpectedly.
>
> Mar 24 02:04:53 ns1 named[6470]:
> /usr/src/lib/libbind/../../contrib/bind/lib/isc/ev_timers.c:114:
> INSIST(now.tv_usec >= 0 && now.tv_usec < 1000000) failed.
> Mar 24 02:04:54 ns1 /kernel: pid 6470 (named), uid 53: exited on signal
> 6

My machine does this constantly.  Are you also getting "microuptime wnet
backwards" messages on the consle/syslog?  Near as I can tell, my
motherboard has an wonky clock chip, which FreeBSD/BIND can't handle.  Odd
thing is it never had issues until the FreeBSD 4.x series, I can't
remember my 3.x machine ever having this problem.  There's a few PRs is
the GNATS database concerning this.  Hopefully your problem will be solved
by one of the fixes mentioned.  It didn't fix mine.  (I have an Open PR on
it).  Search on "microuptime" will find most of them (some are closed
already, so they won't automatically show up in the search).

>         INSIST(now.tv_usec >= 0 && now.tv_usec < 1000000);

This is completely right.  The microseconds value of the uptime should
never be outside of that range.  Unfortunately, all is not well my
machine.

--
Matt Piechota
Finger piechota@emailempire.com for PGP key