Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 15:12:51 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        Jamie Howard <howardjp@dragon.ham.muohio.edu>
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI ZIP problems

> ZIP Zoom card.  It even recognizes it fine at start up.  However, when I

So I/O accesses work.  Is it an ISA card?

> terminal, the process won't die.  Eventually, I start seeing console
> messages saying aic(0:5:0) timed out and it will keep trying.

>From my experience with wrong interrupt settings and their effects on
a NE-2000 compatible card I'd guess that you got the interrupt number
the card uses wrong somewhere or more likely you have the wrong BIOS
settings.

My board's BIOS has settings for reserving interrupt lines for ISA
cards.  Maybe your BIOS is similar and you got this setting wrong in
the new system.  If the interrupt line is not connected from the ISA
slot to the interrupt controller the card can't send an interrupt on
completion of a command and that results in such a timeout.

> This same drive and card worked fine under FreeBSD in the other system
> just last night.

Different settings in the BIOS maybe?  Or even a system w/o PCI and
PnP?

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.