Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2013 11:21:12 -0500
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
Subject:   Re: [zfs-discuss] zfs + NFS + FreeBSD with performance prob

On Jan 31, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Albert Shih wrote:

> Well I've server running FreeBSD 9.0 with (don't count / on differents
> disks) zfs pool with 36 disk.
>=20
> The performance is very very good on the server.
>=20
> I've one NFS client running FreeBSD 8.3 and the performance over NFS =
is
> very good :=20
>=20
> For example : Read from the client and write over NFS to ZFS:
>=20
> [root@ .tmp]# time tar xf /tmp/linux-3.7.5.tar=20
>=20
> real    1m7.244s
> user    0m0.921s
> sys     0m8.990s
>=20
> this client is on 1Gbits/s network cable and same network switch as =
the
> server.
>=20
> I've a second NFS client running FreeBSD 9.1-Stable, and on this =
second
> client the performance is catastrophic. After 1 hour the tar isn't =
finish.
> OK this second client is connect with 100Mbit/s and not on the same =
switch.
> But well from 2 min --> ~ 90 min ...:-(
>=20
> I've try for this second client to change on the ZFS-NFS server the
>=20
> 	zfs set sync=3Ddisabled=20
>=20
> and that change nothing.

I have been using FreeBSD 9 with ZFS and NFS to a couple Mac OS X =
(10.6.8 Snow Leopard) boxes and I get between 40 and 50 MB/sec =
throughput on a Gigabit ethernet link. Since you have already ruled out =
the known sync issue with ZFS and no SSD-based write cache, then perhaps =
you are running into an NFS 3 vs. NFS 4 issue. I am not sure if Mac OS X =
is using NFS 3 or NFS 4.

--
Paul Kraus
Deputy Technical Director, LoneStarCon 3