Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 10:29:43 +0800
From:      Gong Wei <ccegongw@nus.edu.sg>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3.3 Stable Performance Monitoring

Hi all,

We have a few 3.3 Stable production servers lying around the campus to serve
the university population.  As usual, we need some means to manage/monitor
the server performance closely.

We also have a few Solaris machines around.  We've purchased a SNMP agent
from Empire Technology (www.empiretech.com) which can report various system
performance related parameters, like swap usage, system load, cpu
utilization, number of open file descriptor, number of processes, etc.

The bad news is that their product doesn't support FreeBSD, although it does
support Linux.  So we cannot use this tool to monitor the system
performance.  Instead, we need something else which can do roughly the same
thing.

Among so many parameters our immediate interests is the following:
*	CPU utilization, % used in Kernel space vs % used in user space
*	RAM utilization
*	SWAP utilization
*	Network bandwidth usage
*	number of file descriptors used

As ususal, any hints/comments are more than welcomed.  Please do mail a copy
of your response to me directly.  Thanks!