Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:20:17 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bert Hiddink <hiddink@galileo.or.cr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Defaultrouter on Window box

Bert Hiddink wrote:

> I can not get my modem working from the FreeBSD box wit ppp. It keeps saying "Chat script failed"
> and then quits. The log file does not give any clues to me.
>
> As an alternative, I though connecting my FreeBSD to a Window box which has a modem that works ok.
> The IP of this machine is: 192.168.1.20
>
> The LAN (FreeBSD lap connected to Winbox) works ok. I followed the PPP guide of Sims:
> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/c30.html#AEN34
>
> How should I edit rc.conf (or other) in order to tell the the FreeBSD box that the Windowbox has a
> dial-up connection to Internet?

Don't.  If Windows is even capable of acting as a router, I suspect it
wouldn't do a very good job.  Instead, get PPP working.  You should have
at least debug and chat logging enabled in ppp.conf (along with the
defaults, so just add "chat debug" to the end of the "set log" line if
they're not already there).  Also, you should post your ppp.conf file to
this list (with suitable editing to hide passwords) so that people might
be able to help.

Windows software may have given you the attitude to give up and not
bother if something doesn't work first time, but with FreeBSD things
generally work if you stick with it.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D