Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 11:37:16 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Gong Wei <ccegongw@nus.edu.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: <Linux Virtual Server> Equivalent in FreeBSD?

> The requirement is pretty simple:
> 1. load sharing among many real servers,
> 2. able to automatically detect failure real server and avoid forwarding
> request to it
> 3. low cost.

The easiest way would be to configure a firewall box to balance the
incoming HTTP traffic among multiple boxes (one could play with the
NATd, dunno). But there's something I really dislike about this approach:
what's gonna happen when the balancing box fails? Has anyone already
got some nice IP takeover solutions? I know Polyserve has got
some solutions inside Understudy but I'm not feeling very comfortable
with the idea of having any more license issues than required and
I definitively don't need a slow Javaapplet to control the whole game.

I believe that there has to be a possibility to use IP takeover with
mostly integrated OS tools (by using a Script which is continous
monitoring the provided services by the other box) but I just can't
figure out what to do if a box fails to offer one particular service
but still controls its IP. I'd like to take the box' IP over as
soon as the other box detects, that its "twin" is having a problem.
Any solutions to this particular problem (essentially: what's going to
happen if two boxes are having the same IP)?

And then there's still the problem of the mirroring of the servers:
what solution is best to mirror them as close as possible to realtime?
I know there's rsync but that's pretty slow. The concept of
distributed filesystems such as CODA is interesting but I'm doubting
if this one is already production strength...

Best regards,
 Gabriel