Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:17:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        =?iso-8859-2?Q?Dr=E1pal_=A9imon_=28O=DA_Praha_3=29?= <simond@p3.mepnet.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about FreeBSD

> I am MS-DOS user who wants to start with learning some unix platform.
> I've got 486 and experience with MS-Windows(3.x,95,98,NT)
>
> Most extended unix system in my country is Linux.  Would you recommend
> FreeBSD rather then Linux?

This question is a little bit fussy. You won't expect to get a
recommendation for Linux in a FreeBSD mailing list I think.

If you're interested in learning UNIX, FreeBSD is a good choice. Berkeley
UNIX (BSD) has had a very strong influence on UNIX for lot of years. So,
if you make experiences with FreeBSD you have a good chance to feel
comfortable with Compaq/Digital UNIX, SunOS and others. Linux, of course,
has also been influenced by BSD, and it is convincing UNIX clone.
Nevertheless, Linux is Linux. Its roots are different from those of the
rest of the UNIX world.

You may be surprised not to read about technical stuff here. There are
differences between FreeBSD and Linux that may strongly suggest a choice
under special circumstances but from an overall point of view both systems
do a good job.

One thing is sure: If you decide for FreeBSD this decision won't be wrong.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _______
// Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH GÖttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/ // /
// Am Faßberg, D-37077 GÖttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___/____/
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve -----
//                                                http://www.freebsd.org
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de