Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 13:40:23 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help: Wierd Terminal Copy Problem

Jim Freeze wrote:

> On Fri, 26 May 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >
> > I tried this in a directory with around 500 files. The window I
> > selected was 50 lines long. I started vi and went into the input mode
> > and pasted. The terminal locked up. In a 3rd terminal, I watched it
> > and it continued to consume cpu. After a minute of cpu or so, I did a
> > "kill -9 pid" and the terminal went away.
> >
> > I tried Kedit and it pasted just fine. I guess vi has a problem but
> > Kedit doesn't. I thought I had vim on that system but I didn't.
>
> I am opening the target window with the Icon at the bottom of the screen
> in KDE (Terminal Emulation (kvt)).
>
> I tried the following:
>
> vi: failed
> vim: failed
> gvim: ok
>
> I also tried to kill vi and vim after each failure, but the term was still
> hung. I think it is kvt's problem.

I do to. It may not be kvt but it does appear to be tightly related
:). I downloaded and built vim. The paste session also locked up on my
system. I don't know if locked up is a proper term because they
continue to chew up cpu time. A tight loop seemed to be obvious.
Murphy can misslead you there as to the proper terminology :).

I used the kvt Icon at the bottom to start my terminal session. I
guess you just have to remember which editor works.

I don't have kde2 running right now.

BTW, you can kill the kvt session. You just have to know which one it
is :). I did a ps before I opened the 3rd kvt session and then after
so that I knew which one it was. I could follow it with a simple ps.

Kent

> Jim

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA