Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2014 17:11:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
To:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GPT label for ZFS GPT partitions no longer recognized (Was: New FreeBSD snapshots and virtual machine disk images (20140106 r260369))

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:08-0500, Glen Barber wrote:

> o 10.0-PRERELEASE amd64

> FreeBSD-10.0-PRERELEASE-amd64-20140106-r260369-disc1.iso

I tried the experimental ZFS stuff in bsdinstaller, I chose a mirrored
pool using 4K disk blocks, and I noticed the zfs0 and zfs1 labels are
indeed shown when running gpart show -l after the first reboot, but
only the gptboot{0,1} and swap{0,1} labels shows up in the /dev/gpt
directory. I guess gnop is doing some mischief to the GPT.

Some weeks ago I did a complete manual ZFS install using my own
homegrown shell scripts
(http://ximalas.info/~trond/create-zfs/canmount/), 4K disk blocks and
mirrored pool, and gnop managed to render the entire GPT invisible on
the first two harddrives. It could very well be pilot error on my
part.

Only when rebooting using the snapshot ISO image, the labels showed up
as expected when running gpart show -l and were even visible in the
/dev/gpt directory. Luckily, the boot code manages to find its way
through the maze, but not the installed kernel, which should be the
very same kernel as found on the snapshot image.

Any thoughts to what's going on? Sorry for the noise if this is ol'
news.

And by the way, is /usr/local considered part of each BE? I like to
treat it as global to each BE, very much like /tmp and /var, as long
as I'm running the same branch in every BE.

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |