Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 2014 22:04:06 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: i386 PAE kernel works fine on 10-stable

--nextPart4420963.u7c8slbCU8

On Monday, December 15, 2014 05:12:39 PM Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 15 December 2014 at 16:33, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> wrote:=

> >> On Dec 15, 2014, at 3:42 PM, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> wrote:
> >>=20
> >> It's always been a 1GB/3GB split.  It was never a problem until ce=
rtain
> >> scaling defaults were changed to scale solely based on physical ra=
> >> without
> >> regard for kva limits.
> >=20
> > Hmm the original patch I gave for that only changed scaling for mac=
hines
> > with 64 bit pointers. Why was it that the 32 bit stuff was made to
> > change?
> I recall this - I went digging; commit
>=20
> 7beb738c8a72cc197d3e898784afe3fba28f1834
>=20
> removed that particular bit of autotuning based on the size of void *=
.
>=20
> Maybe this stuff is a little busted and we need to add some more
> config parameters?
>=20
> (Also, there's the vm space shift thing that also needed adjustment
> for memory-constrained systems. We've had do it on MIPS and low-memor=
> (64mb, 128mb) RAM i386 systems.)
>=20
>=20
>=20
> -adrian

There's more to it than just one commit.  There's years of general tren=
ds that=20
added scaling by physical ram without regard for kva consumption.  The=20=

starting point for Alfred's commits a few years ago already didn't work=
=20
properly on large memory systems.  Alfred worked on the scaling for the=
 64-bit=20
/ direct map systems and tried to leave the caps alone for kva-constrai=
ned=20
systems.  The caps were already too high.

Except for i386, kva-limited systems generally are pretty small and are=
=20
explicitly tuned for "small".  The tuning considerations for a 32MB or =
64MB=20
mips/arm system is very different than a 16GB i386 PAE system.

=2D-=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI=
6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' or ... just won\342\200\231t do\342\200\246