Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:49:25 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fundamentalism (was Re: helping victims of terror)

Long mail, read only if this whole issue does genuinely interest you.

Salvo Bartolotta said on Sep 26, 2001 at 02:21:32:

> Ooops, my fault, sorry.  I was thinking of the "Islamic" leaders
> (using religion as a means of goverment, or "instrumentum regni"),
> and of [more or less large] unlettered masses following them.  Yep,
> a good number of people are just victims, I agree.
>

> This holds to a varying extent in a few countries, where populations
> are needy and -- key factor -- illiterate, so a [more or less great]
> number of "religious" leaders teach them fundamentalistic ideas --
> for their own **filthy** political/ideological/pseudoreligious
> purposes; which purposes involve, inter alia, that the Western World
> is irremediably rotten, etc.

You're quite right there, actually.  And this is true with India too.
In fact, Hindu fundamentalist organisations are growing too; the only
good things I see are that (a) as they grow they seem to be somewhat
toning down their vile rhetoric to try and attract more "mainstream"
people, and (b) even so, they're not succeeding all that much.
India's ruling coalition is headed by one such party, but it only
stays together because of one man, the prime minister, who's regarded
as a "moderate" (a few others are moderates too but not powerful); and
that party has a following only in a few states and seems to be losing
it there too.  As for Muslims in India (India has the second largest
population of Muslims in the world, Indonesia being first) -- there's
an ongoing debate where Muslim leaders (many of them fitting closely
with your description above, actually) claim that successive
governments have "neglected" muslims and caused them to stay backward;
others retorting that it is the Muslim religious leaders who conspire
to keep their illiterate flock in their madrasas, instead of letting
them join the mainstream; and the educated, liberal, forward-thinking
Muslims (there are *many* of them, in the government and in all walks
of life) don't seem to care about their "community" all that much.

And, where India (perhaps Pakistan too) is concerned, *this* is the
problem.  The Muslim masses look to their mullahs for inspiration and
not to their scientists, artists, writers or even the forward-looking
politicians, while these latter don't make an effort to reach to the
masses (well, maybe some of the politicians do, but they're not very
successful).  It's a deep sociological problem, but today with the
increasing penetration of mass media, I'm hoping that the hold of the
mullahs will break -- that is, people living in such conditions will
realise that there are other things in life to aim for.  In Pakistan
things became much worse under General Zia's regime; that is when
fundamentalism really took off there.

I'm not very familiar with Egypt and other north African countries.
Unfortunately, most of them haven't been democracies either, so
Islamic fundamentalism often, as I understand it, became a front for
anti-Government activity (as in Iran).  In fact, in Iran, after the
revolution, the muslim clergy gained immense power, but the people
clearly got tired of it after a while and have been making it known
that they want reforms.  As I wrote earlier, while women have
restrictions on dress and some other things in Iran, in other ways
they have much more freedom than in many middle Eastern countries.
Perhaps education and literacy levels were much higher in Iran, I
don't know.

> I believe that 1) the distortion of Islam/any religion has nothing
> to do with Islam and with religion at large; 2) these ideas can only
> be accepted by **ignorant** and [more or less large] [more or less]
> poor masses; 3) most of these religious/political leaders, for a
> variety of reasons, wish to keep these populations as ignorant [and
> poor] as they can.

Partially right on 1: I think every religious text has things in it
which seem barbaric from our present-day point of view, and while we
can justify moderate behaviour by quoting the Koran, these people can
equally well justify their extremism from the same source.  I won't
argue with them there, since their knowledge of the Koran is obviously
vastly greater than mine.  Quite right on 2 and 3.

> My pessimism arises from the extreme difficulty in attacking the
> roots of the problem, viz hunger & ignorance, which constitute ideal
> humus for [Islam] fundamentalism and other BS.

It can only be done locally, by the more forward looking people in the
community itself.  Unfortunately such people are getting marginalised
in Pakistan, while they barely exist (and hardly ever existed) in
Afghanistan.  One of the best descriptive articles I've read on
Afghanistan, by filmmaker Mohsen Makhmalbaf, is here:
  http://www.iranian.com/Opinion/2001/June/Afghan/index.html
It shows you how difficult the problem is.

America obviously wants a change of government in Afghanistan, but
finding a good replacement and making sure it has popular support will
be very difficult, especially if it is perceived as having US backing.
Bush is doing the right thing in seeking the support of Muslim
countries for his actions.  But already it looks like Pakistan is not
happy with talk of overthrowing the Taleban.  Iran would be quite
happy with it, but America will not talk to them; besides Iran has
deeper problems with much of Afghanistan anyway (shia v/s sunni).

Makhmalbaf's article points out that regional identity is much
stronger than national identity in Afghanistan, and the Pakhtuns are
the dominant regional tribe.  So a pakhtun leader would be the best
choice.  Pakistan will be bitterly opposed to it however, because the
Durand line separating the Pakhtun parts of Pakistan from Afghanistan
expired a few years ago, and they are likely to face separatist
problems if the Pakhtun "national identity" is strengthened in any
case.  The article by Rajmohan Gandhi which I sent yesterday suggests
that Pakhtun nationalism is, in fact, a stronger force than Islam in
those parts.  The Northern Alliance is mostly non-Pakhtun, which is
why imposing it on the rest of Afghanistan is unlikely ever to be a
workable solution.  They're talking now of reinstalling 86-year-old
King Zahir Shah, which shows how desperate they are.

Changing the world is difficult, and change in these societies has to
come from within, not be imposed from outside... right now the US has
plenty of sympathy, even from governments of Muslim countries, and as
long as they are careful to involve other countries, act under the UN
banner and not unilaterally, and step very carefully indeed and be
prepared for a very long process, we can still be optimistic.  Any
perception that the US is "invading" Afghanistan, however, will
instantly antagonise Muslims everywhere.  Bush has certainly learned
the hard way the dangers of his unilateralism and the need of support
from the rest of the world.