Date:      Thu, 23 May 2013 13:05:58 +0200
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Anton Yuzhaninov <citrin@citrin.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: surprise surprise (VM related) [luigi@FreeBSD.org: svn commit: r250911 - head/sys/kern]

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 10:26:55AM +0000, Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:
> On Wed, 22 May 2013 20:42:44, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> LR>   Using polling, a FreeBSD instance under qemu-kvm remains perfectly
> LR>   responsive even when bombed with 10 Mpps over an emulated e1000,
> LR>   and happily processes 1.7 Mpps through ipfw.
>
> Can you share qemu network configuration used in tests?

it is basically qemu-head + kvm (running on a linux host)
with modifications to use a VALE switch as a backend, and
a few tweaks to speed up access to the guest memory.
A patch is at

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/doc/20130523-qemu-diff.gz

The FreeBSD guest uses if_lem.c and just sets polling mode.
I also have patches for the guest device driver, but they
are still in the works.

cheers
luigi