Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 19:52:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
To:        julian@elischer.org (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au, gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org, snap-users@kame.net, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au, altq@csl.sony.co.jp
Subject:   Re: (KAME-snap 4587) The future of ALTQ, IPsec & IPFILTER playing   together ...

In some email I received from Julian Elischer, sie wrote:
> Darren Reed wrote:
> >
> > In some email I received from Gunther Schadow, sie wrote:
> > > Gunther Schadow wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > .... to make things even more complicated, we also have the
> > > berkeley packet filter (BPF) mechanism. Heck! How could
> > > so many things evolve that all do essentially the same
> > > thing? The interesting thing about the BPF mechanism is
> > > that it is very generic. Filter rules are instructions
> > > of a virtual von-Neumann-machine (reminds me of 6502
> > > assembler :-). Tcpdump uses BPF, at least on FreeBSD.
> > > But I think BPF is available on all 4.4 BSD derivatives.
> > >
> > > where does this fit in the crowd?
> >
> > BPF uses a byte-code language, like Java, to tell the
> > matching routine what bits to compare and return a "true or
> > false".  i.e. you need to build things around it if you want
> > to use it for packet matching, etc.
>
> netgraph has a bpf node that can be programmed with BPF codes to do almost
> any filtereing required.
>
> (Netgraph can be used to do in-kernel tunnelling of almost any type
> if you are willing to figure ot how to use it.)

So ?  Maybe I should have made the point more clearly.

Just because you have BPF does not mean you have a "packet filter".
You need a whole lot of other infrastructure as well.
Same goes for netgraph.  Both netgraph and BPF are enabling technologies
but are not in and of themselves providers of solutions.

Darren