Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:58:28 -0800
From:      "Liberat0r" <greene@hctc.com>
To:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   boot help

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C06077.4DAF9060

I am sure you have heard this a million times but.... when I installed
freebsd 3.x from the 3rd edition of "the complete freeBSD" book the
installer told me that it couldn't format root and it was quitting, it =
said
it left an error  log. when I boot up my system ( with all compliant
hardware)  I get to the boot manager's boot: prompt and it says I have 1
option f1 for free bsd, yet when I try to boot typing in freeBSD or =
pressing
f1, it says no /boot/loader yet I installed the boot loader on =
installation,
( I even reinstalled to be sure). I really want to set up freebsd and =
play
with it so I would appreciate some help in this matter. if you need more
specifics please email me back. I have a 4 gb Maxtor and a p2 300 with =
and
Intel 440 bx mobo all the hardware worked fine with redhat 6.0 and 7.0
 oh and yes i have read the newbie faq at freebsd.org and i dont know if =
jsut skimmed over it or i dont understand or what but i couldnt find an
answer there

thanks for your time

greene@hctc.com

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C06077.4DAF9060

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am sure you have heard this a million =
times=20
but.... when I installed<BR>freebsd 3.x from the 3rd edition of "the =
complete=20
freeBSD" book the<BR>installer told me that it couldn't format root and =
it was=20
quitting, it said<BR>it left an error&nbsp; log. when I boot up my =
system ( with=20
all compliant<BR>hardware)&nbsp; I get to the boot manager's boot: =
prompt and it=20
says I have 1<BR>option f1 for free bsd, yet when I try to boot typing =
in=20
freeBSD or pressing<BR>f1, it says no /boot/loader yet I installed the =
boot=20
loader on installation,<BR>( I even reinstalled to be sure). I really =
want to=20
set up freebsd and play<BR>with it so I would appreciate some help in =
this=20
matter. if you need more<BR>specifics please email me back. I have a 4 =
gb Maxtor=20
and a p2 300 with and<BR>Intel 440 bx mobo all the hardware worked fine =
with=20
redhat 6.0 and 7.0<BR>&nbsp;oh and yes i have read the newbie faq at =
freebsd.org=20
and i dont know if i<BR>jsut skimmed over it or i dont understand or =
what but i=20
couldnt find an<BR>answer there<BR><BR><BR>thanks for your =
time</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:greene@hctc.com">greene@hctc.com</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></=