Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/13016: Wrong sendmail.cf file used by mergemaster

The following reply was made to PR conf/13016; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:37:46 -0700

 "Scot W. Hetzel" wrote:

 > I agree that this problem has nothing to do with the way mergemaster is
 > designed to show how your installation differs from a default installation.

 	Ok, then next time don't mention it at all. It's not part of the base
 system, so it doesn't belong in a PR.

 >   Instead it has to do with the way in which etc/sendmail/Makefile creates
 > the sendmail.cf file in the ${DESTDIR}/etc directory.  This PR probably
 > should have been called "Fix to sendmail.cf generation problem".

 	But there is no problem. You want to use a custom sendmail.cf file, go
 right ahead. That doesn't make the way the system works currently a
 "problem." It makes it inconvenient for you, an inconvenience that is
 easily dealt with.

 > Your suggestion in PR 12664, does not solve this problem.
 >
 > 1. Delete sendmail.cf generation from etc/Makefile after updating sources
 > and before using mergemaster.
 >
 > This will need to be done each time the sources are updated,

 	What I do for stuff like this is to 'cp Makefile makefile' then run a
 script before I do a make world which checks the cvs id's for all the
 makefiles I've customized to see if they have been updated. They hardly
 ever need to be.

 > 2. After mergemaster makes the comparison between sendmail.cf files, just
 > delete /var/tmp/tmproot/etc/sendmail.cf when asked.
 >
 > Before you are able to delete the sendmail.cf file from within mergemaster,
 > you need to go through several screens of sendmail.cf comparisons before you
 > are able to delete the sendmail.cf file in mergemaster.  This comparison is
 > also useless when the system is using a custom sendmail.cf file.

 	Oh please. Learn how to use your PAGER. On more and less all you have to
 do is hit q.

 	Personally I have no objections to the patches you are suggesting,
 providing that they actually work, do what you want them to do, etc.
 However I think that you're going way around the point with your arguments.
 My grandfather would say that you are using a five dollar solution for a
 twenty cent problem. I would tend to agree with him.

 Good luck,

 Doug