Date:      Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:25:07 +0100
From:      Jon Otterholm <jon.otterholm@ide.resurscentrum.se>
To:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arp-proxy

That depends...

In all this - our role is similar to an ISP, but we are buying access to
our customers from an external part. Every customer is delivered on a
separate vlan trunked.

- Our DSL customers cannot be set on the same VLAN i a single DSLAM
(don't ask me why - ask Alcatel).
- We cannot build a simple bridge because the Network service provider
can't handle when a MAC-address shows up on 2 different VLAN's.

The arp-proxy should do the following:
- Forward any broadcast packets but rewrite src to its own mac.
- Forward unicast packets according to FDB but rewrite src to its own
mac.

I hope this makes it clear.

/J