Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 20:45:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOFTWARE: Common Desktop Environment (CDE) for FreeBSD

Jordan Hubbard lamented:
 % Sigh.  I hated the OSF, now I get to hate the The Open Group.  At

Jeffrey Hsu writes:
 > Actually, it's the fault of whomever wrote CDE, whose name I forget.
 > The releaes schedule of CDE coincided with the release schedule of
 > Motif 2.0 and the CDE development group decided not to switch
 > Motif versions mid-development.  OSF wanted them to switch.

In the true spirit of the OSF (which, by the way, stands for "Oppose
Sun Forever" ;^) CDE was developed "by a cast of thousands."  The UI
libraries are motif (with DEC UIL), the programming toolkits HP, the
tooltalk language from Sun, several user tools including E-mail from
Sun, the window and session managers from HP.  All of this was glued
together by people from each of these companies and others.

You're probably thinking of SAIC, but they were just the first company
to ship and actual CDE release.  You can't blame the entirety of CDE
on SAIC or any other one company; to make a conglomeration of software
that huge takes a number of multi-billion dollar companies.

Comments on the quality of the CDE code I'll leave to those who use it
regularly; the only reason I'm still using VUE in my HP at work is
because I'm too lazy to buy the X11R6 CD-ROM from Walnut Creek and
install it OVER VUE on my 712.  I use XFree86 and ctwm here, where I
live, and that suits me fine.  I'm still looking for a good X mailer,
but in the meantime Emacs Vmail works OK.