Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:02:17 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Roman V. Palagin" <romanp@unshadow.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Implementation of PPPIOCSUNIT

Hello!

About 2 years ago I make set of patches which introduces PPPIOCSUNIT and
adds 'pppunit' option to pppd. This is usefull if (for variuos reason) you
need to wire ppp interface number to some tty (i.e. you may want that pppd
if started on /dev/cuaa3 always use ppp0 as its interface).

Since than I receive many request about send this patch to FreeBSD and
make it part of base system. But there is one showstoper - changes in
kernel are incompatible with current scheme wich is used to access
kernel-level ppp. With patched version you _MUST_ call PPPIOCSUNIT to
attach ppp interface to tty. This is because some code moved from
pppopen() to pppinit()/pppioctl() since at the moment of calling TCIOSETD
we can't specifie interface number. So, you can't use stock pppd (patch to
pppd included), also you must change any application which used
kernel-level ppp (btw, is there are any other then pppd?)

The question is: what you think is best way to incorporate this changes in
FreeBSD? Or this is should left as separate patches?

Current version of patches: ftp://room101.wuppy.net.ru/pppd

                                             - Roman
---
or previous employers.