Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:24:35 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Dan Pelleg <daniel+fbsdq@pelleg.org>
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD

W. D. wrote:
> At 20:39 10/23/2002, Dan Pelleg, wrote:
>
>>FreeBSD systems are easy to maintain. You can do a source upgrade,
>>or a binary upgrade, and the system will go through it and boot
>>to the new version without a hitch. On one system I have I've gone from
>>FreeBSD 4.1 to 4.7, including every release in between, without ever
>>touching the console. When a major version comes out, I typically
>>upgrade 10 systems in multiple locations, all within half a day
>>without leaving my office.>
>
> Pray tell, how do you do this?
>
> Start Here to Find It Fast!© -> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/

I can confirm that this is in fact possible, and not even difficult to
accomplish. My home machine has gone from FreeBSD 2.2.8 to 4.7 without
reinstall, and I disconnected the monitor and keyboard somewhere
around 3.3.

An upgrade consists of the following commands:
'cvsup -g -L2 stable-supfile && cd /usr/src/ && make buildworld &&
make buildkernel KERNCONF=whatever && make installkernel
KERNCONF=whatever && make installworld && reboot'
Theoretically you could just paste those lines into a shellscript,
make a crontab entry and be done, but I do recommend that you add some
error checking and maybe some interaction with the user. Of course,
this should _not_ be used on production or otherwise heavy loaded
machines. Doing install in single user is recomended, but a box with
very low loads will probably do it just fine running multi user.

Ive used this method for years (allthough not added to cron but
started manually when I think it's needed) and it has only failed me
once. When going from 4.6 to 4.7 I had to do a reboot between
installkernel and installworld, or the system would fail with a lot of
weird memory errors. Luckily, I always update my testmachine first, so
when the time came to update the "real" machine I was aware of this
and avoided the problem.