Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:06:56 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "S.Gopinath" <sxg@tn.nic.in>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a.out binaries

"S.Gopinath" wrote:
> > I'm required to run a.out binaries like foxplus
> > in a recent Intel based hardware. I have chosen
> > FreeBSD 5.1 and successfuly installed. But I could
> > not run a.out binaries like Foxplus. I tried it by
> > load ibcs modules and aout modules in /boot/kernel
> > directory. My foxplus did not work.
> >
> > I require your suggestions regarding this.
> >
> > I may not use FreeBSD 2.1 version as I require
> > driver for Adaptec 7902 (Ultra Wide SCSI 320).

The a.out file format is a file format, not an ABI definition.

In the particular case you are talking about, the a.out file
you are trying to run is an SCO Xenix ABI binary, rather than
a 386BSD/FreeBSD 1.x/2.x binary.

In order to support this, you would need to support the Xenix
system call entry points, and to recognize the file as a Xenix
a.out binary, and to trap to a Xenix system call entry table,
rather than a FreeBSD or some other entry point table.  This
is actually not a very difficult thing to do (for example, you
do not have to worry about shared libraries), but it requires
kernel modifications in order to support it.

This is not supported at this time.

If you have a Xenix system with developement tools on it, a
competent kernel programmer who knew both platforms and had
access to the tools could probably have you up and running in
a few weeks, at most.

-- Terry