Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:29:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vic tuner patches work great, mostly

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > TSIA. The brightness is a bit wacky - it rolls over in the middle of the
> > slider, from bright to dark.
>
> i know. And the funny thing is, it works fine with the meteor.  I
> am pretty sure it is some signed/unsigned problem in interpreting
> the value. Either the meteor or the brooktree should be fixed (and
> I am afraid that probably the meteor will have to be changed, since
> too many people use fxtv...

I seem to remember this problem from the early days of the bt848 driver.
:)

> > BTW, what does `Thre' mean?  It's some sort of threshold on quality but
> > I'm not sure.
>
> right. The routine in vic to determine if a block has changed
> computes a partial difference and then compares it with a threshold.
>
> In the original sources (grabber.h ?) the threshold is fixed at
> 48, I wanted to experiment a little bit with different ones, because
> in some situations (e.g. poor lighting, or neon lights) the output
> of the camera can be very noisy and it pays to raise the threshold.

Thanks for throwing that in, I can see how useful it can be.

> > And someone needs to fix the vic port -- it blows up if the qcam-grabber
> > is built on my machine.  I have to go in and hand-remove it from the
> > build.
>
> is this after the qcam driver removal in 2.2.6 ? I am still having the
> qcam driver compiled in into 2.2.1 and it seems to work.

I'm on 2.2.5, but it wants libqcam and I probably have a stale version
running around from when I tried to get it working way back when.  If I
blew away all remnants of the qcam stuff it'd probably shut up.