Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:09:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
Cc:        Douglas Egan <degan@calcon.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bind:  permission denied

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Steven Lake wrote:

> 	Simple answer.  Root owns the program, root owns the processes
> it runs on, only root has permissions to execute it because of how it runs.
> I've had the same thing with many programs, even ones assigned to my generic
> user or owned by them, regardless if they're part of the wheel group or
> not.  It's a security thing.  :)
>
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Douglas Egan wrote:
>
> > I just installed ports/mail/sylpheed.  I installed like I always install
> > something from ports; as root, make; make install;
> >
> > I can execute the program from root, but cannot execute it as a normal
> > user.  I get:
> >
> > %sylpheed
> > bind: Permission denied
> > %
> >
> > The author of syplheed suggested looking at the /tmp permissions, but
> > they were as suggested and as installed.
> >
> > drwxrwxrwt   8 root   wheel     1024 Feb 14 03:23 tmp
> >

> > %uname -a
> > FreeBSD porgy 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Thu Dec 13 14:40:35 CST
> > 2001     degan@porgy:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DOUG-AMD  i386
> > %
> >

> > Any ideas?

That explanation sounds a bit vague. The error message is probably being
generated by a failed call to bind(2); the problem sounds like this:

  [EACCES] The requested address is protected, and the current user has
	inadequate permission to access it.

So it's probably sylpheed trying to bind to a low-numbered port (1023 or
less), which you need root privs to do. Alternatively, trying to open a
unix-domain socket (ie, one in the filesystem) where you don't have
sufficient FS privs to do so can also cause this.

Usenet: The separation of content AND presentation - simultaneously.