Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 07:23:09 +0200
From:      Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?= <Lars.Koeller@post.uni-bielefeld.de>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        Lars.Koeller@post.uni-bielefeld.de (Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?=), freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freeze with SMP and CAM-19980712!

----------

Hi!

First of all thanks for the replies!

 > Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?= wrote...
 > > --------
 > >
 > > Hello!
 > >
 > > I've installed the 3.0-CAM-19989712 on my Tyan Titan Pro (2x200 MHz
 > > PPro, 64 MB RAM). The machine works fine, but instable!
 > >
 > > I stressed the machine a whole day by a loop of
 > >
 > >   make -j 4 clean buildworld
 > >
 > > without any problems. A parallel 'dump 0' onto DAT, no problem.
 > > But then a simple 'emacs /etc/crontab' or a simple desktop change,
 > > or .... any other simple action, without any load on the machine
 > > leads to a instantaneously freeze of the system (mouse locked, no
 > > panic, no reboot, no kdb, ..., only a hard reset helps). One time
 > > it dies during a simple kernel compile cycle. It's not deterministic
 > > reproducible!
 > >
 > > After changing the RAM (replace the installed 64MB by another set,
 > > adding further 64 MB, so all 8 slots are occupied), drop speed of
 > > the BIOS RAM access time. I didn't believe in a hardware error,
 > > perhaps one of the PPro caches are buggy, but in single Processor
 > > mode I have never such problems (tested with both processors!).
 > >
 > > What can I do to further debug this problem, what information do you
 > > need?
 >
 > 	Well, which SCSI controller do you have?  Could you send a dmesg
 > output?  I'm not sure this is CAM related, but I suppose it's possible.

It's an Adaptec 2940U with 2 discs, 1 DAT, 1 CDROM, 1 DAT with
AutoChanger and an 2940 UW with 2 UW discs. Both as PCI Cards, on IRQ
14 and 15.

The dmesg output will follow this evening from home!

Regards

Lars
--
E-Mail:                                     |  Lars Köller
  Lars.Koeller@Uni-Bielefeld.DE              |  UNIX Sysadmin