Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:35:10 -0800
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ask_Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= <ask@develooper.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP client not getting IP address from Time Warner

On Nov 3, 2009, at 7:47, Ask Bj=F8rn Hansen wrote:

> On FreeBSD their DHCP server seems to just ignore me (but I see lots =
of broadcast replies to 255.255.255.255/ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff).  I've tried =
with both the standard dhclient and the isc dhclient from ports.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to follow-up on my own mail to tell that the problem is =
"solved".

Cloning the mac address from my mac seemed to work once, but not =
consistently.

I never found out exactly what the OS X and the FreeBSD dhcp client are =
doing differently, but after turning off the cable modem again for a =
longer while the FreeBSD dhcp client got an IP.

For some reason it appears that OS X is able to "move" the IP to another =
mac address/client much faster; but honestly after getting it working on =
the FreeBSD box I didn't want to fuzz with it anymore as it's working =
where I want it now.

Thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions, questions and advice!

 - ask

--=20