Date:      Sat, 07 Aug 1999 14:06:25 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        tcobb@staff.circle.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: continued crashes with 3.1-Stable

tcobb@staff.circle.net wrote:

> I think the problem is the SMP.  I've been having frequent
> freezes with SMP under heavy webserver load with 3.2-R,
> and 3.2-S.  I'm unfortunately led to believe that FreeBSD
> SMP is just not ready for primetime.  Too bad the $$ we blew
> on a dual PIII-550 box.

	We're having pretty good luck with our dual PIII-500 boxes under pretty
heavy webserver load. However for various reasons we're using -current.
There are some other factors to consider though. What kind of motherboards
and nic cards are you using for example? Also, how heavy is heavy? And what
kind of performance tuning have you done with the kernel, etc? It is of
course possible that you're experiencing problems with the SMP code, but
there are other places to look as well.

Doug