Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:11:55 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up)

On Apr 04, 1998 at 08:27:40PM +0200, Andreas Braukmann wrote:
>   The hardware:
>     * Gigabyte 686DX Dual PPro 200
>     * Award BIOS
>     * 128 MB Ram
>
> The trap: (from the uni-proc. kernel, cited from hand-written notes)
> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in vm86 mode
> fault virtual address:  0x26e0
> fault code: user read, page not present
> ip = 0x24a:0x240
> sp = 0x0:0xff8
> fp = 0x0:0x0
> cs = base 0xf0000008, limit 0xd14c8, type 0xf
>      DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 0, gran 0
> proc eflags = trace trap, int enabled, resume, vm86, IOPL=0
> cur proc = idle
> int mask = net tty bio cam

This is the VM86 memory sizing code on bootup; it is trying to coax the
BIOS to tell it how much memory is in the machine.  The BIOS routines
are supposed to be at 0xA0000, for some reason, your machine is trying
to execute code at 0x26e0.  This fails, since I haven't mapped that
particular page page into the address space.

Do you have `BIOS shadowing' set in your BIOS?  Try turning if off, if so.

For a quick workaround, you can just take out "options VM86" from
the kernel, but I'd really like to try to get this fixed.
--
Jonathan