Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:42:40 -0600
From:      jdunham@texas.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Belkin UPS installation confusion

I have a 400MHz IBM Intellistation E-Pro (FreeBSD 4.6) running on a Belkin Home
Office UPS (F6H659-SER), with the control cable plugged into the first serial port.
When I installed FreeBSD I had it install upsd, thinking that would allow FreeBSD to
shut down properly if the power went away.  Silly me.

Now the machine never tires of telling me:

   Cannot put the UPS into smart mode.

and there doesn't seem to be a upsd man page.

I just spent some time Googling for info and searching on the FreeBSD site, and all
that did was add to my confusion.  It appears that upsd is intended for APC UPSes,
but I also see indications that people are using it with Belkins.  What I don't see is
any set of instructions for getting it going.  I can't find a mention of upsd in either
Grog's book or Annelise's.

Can any of you assist?  Or should I just give it up?  I'm not wanting anything fancy,
just the ability to shut FreeBSD down cleanly in the event of power loss.

Thanks for any help.

--
Jerry Dunham
jdunham@texas.net