Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2014 11:13:46 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Eirik_=C3=98verby?= <eirik.overby@modirum.com>
To:        gecko@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Espen Tagestad <espen.tagestad@modirum.com>
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: security/ca_root_nss

Hi,

we just had our package distribution severely broken by the recent =
change in ca_root_nss that installs a cert.pem symlink in =
/usr/local/etc/ssl by default, with no option to disable during build =
time. Since system fetch (and other tools) defaults to reading the file =
from /usr/local/etc/ssl before /etc/ssl, this effectively got all our =
systems stranded, unable to install/update packages.

I see this was discussed on the freebsd-security list, but unfortunately =
I did not have time to follow the full discussion (trusting the =
conclusion would be, like before, to allow the sysadmin to decide whom =
to trust), and therefore did not realise this would be the outcome.

I'm sure I'm bikeshedding now, but to me this seems like something that =
_should_ have been a build-time option, that _should_ have defaulted to =
disabled, and that _really_should_ have been mentioned in UPDATING as it =
breaks all kinds of stuff - either by things suddenly not working, or by =
introducing security problems (I really REALLY do not want to trust any =
3rd party when it comes to where I fetch my built packages from, for =
instance).

Apologies if this email seems a bit edgy - it would be because I've just =
spent quite a few hours trying to figure out what on earth just =
happened... ;-)

Wbr
Eirik =C3=98verby=