Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:05:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var error

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Jan Grant wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> > At 2003-07-09T08:36:50Z, "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu> writes:
> > > Install sysutils/lsof and use it to find what program has a deleted file
> > > open on /var; kill that program, and the space will be reclaimed.
> > I see that advice a lot.  Is lsof inherently superior to `fstat' in the base
> > system?

I think it's just Linux/SysV folks that are used to lsof.

> You don't _need_ lsof, it just ties things neatly together for you. If
> you don't have lsof (for whatever reason), you can scan down /var
> looking for "missing" open inodes - eg, the script at
> 	http://ioctl.org/unix/scripts/openfiles

Couldn't you also just do something like,

`find /var|xargs lsof`

That seems to yield similar output as lsof for me...  Granted, some
columns are swapped around.

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher@adept.org>
To: spam-catcher@adept.org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!