Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 20:07:01 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.5-stable ?

At 07:42 PM 10/12/99 , Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>At 06:35 PM 10/12/99 , Michael Lucas wrote:
>> Traditionally, the best time to get on a FreeBSD branch has been when
>> it hits *.5.  Is this still true with 3.x?
>
>I guess you'll find out when we hit 3.5, won't you? :) This isn't
>actually as flip an answer as it sounds, either.  There's simply no
>way of predicting the future with any accuracy where FreeBSD is
>concerned, even on the -stable branch, and that's just what you get
>for being part of what's really "a movement" as much as it is an
>OS. :)

My experience with STABLE for 3.2 and beyond in a production environment
has been excellent.  I have yet (knock on wood) to experience any nasty
panics due to any bugs.  On the about 10 production 3.x machines I run, all
have performed as well for me as my other 15 or so 2.x servers.  In that
mix is one SMP system with 512MB of RAM that does 7 hits per second with a
high mix of dynamically generated pages as well as pushing 30,000 messages
a day in 2 bursts.  I have had a one of the boxes syn flooded as well as
being blasted with 10Mb of UDP floods and it has withstood it just fine--
as well as one of my border routers that carried the floods to the poor
victim, which is also a pre 3.3 box running gated with 2 full views of the net.

So to make a long story short, if you have new boxes to deploy, and you are
worried about 3.3, based on my experience, dont worry.  That being said,
get good hardware, and well supported devices... For SCSI, Adaptec. For
ethernet, Intel EtherExpress Pro 100/Bs.  Good MB, good CPU, good RAM...
you will be fine.

>Current gossip and rumor may be outdated Real Soon Now.  Watch this
>space for updated rumors over the next few months.
>
>- Jordan

Come on, you cant just throw that out and not elaborate ? )  How about some
hints! ;-)

	---Mike