Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 10:12:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      Steven Goodwin <steve@cit.gu.edu.au>
To:        Joshua <Lokken@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk space problem

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Joshua wrote:

> hello
>
> I have fresh install of 4.5R on 3.12 GB HDD, with XFree86-4.2.0
> and lynx installed.  I am trying to build the gnome port.  My /usr
> slice is 1.2 GB.  I keep running out of space on /usr.  What can I
> safely get rid of to make room for this build?   I have no sources
> installed.  It seems that I am not 'using disk space correctly',
> could this be the case?  in other words, maybe my swap space
> isn't being used, etc.  Can anyone help?

I have the same problem with my P90 gateway with its < 2GB drive so I
don't keep /usr/ports, /usr/src, /usr/obj on it.  When needed, I nfs mount
these directories which frees up *heaps* of space making sure to make
clean afterwards (because the nfs client/server CPU architectures are
different).

Steve