Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 22:43:00 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Stacy Olivas <olivassq@naf-navy.misawa.af.mil>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP question

> Hello,
> Just recently I've setup a FreeBSD 2.27-RELEASE box to act as a PPP
> dial-in server for Windows clients.
>
> My question is: Is it possible to get teh IPX/SPX protocols from Netware
> and the NETBIOS protocol to function sover such a link?

There's no NetBUI or IPX support in ppp. You can do NetBIOS as long
as it's over TCP/IP, and you can agree NBNSs at LCP time too.  Check
the ``set nbns'' command in the man page.

> I setup the PPP link as described in the man page to ppp under method #2.
>
> Any information about patches that can be applied, changed to
> configuration, etc. will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Stacy

Apart from ppp not supporting NetBUI (does anything?) or IPX, the tun
device under FreeBSD doesn't actually do non-IP packets.  I plan to
change this soon, but I've been putting it off because there's very
little gain unless I plan to implement IPXCP, and that would mean
setting up another windows box at home.... tricky.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;