Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:47:16 -0800
From:      Ben Copeland <ben@bit-head.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FTP timeout

Greetings,

I'm having a "devil" of a time getting FreeBSD to install via FTP onto
my old DEC 486/33. I obtained the boot floppies, am able to configure
the ISA ethernet card, partition my IDE drives (I have two; one 120 mb
and one 520 mb). I have a little network at home routed through my cable
modem, using my PowerMac as a router with IPNetRouter and NAT (I know,
but I am after all a bit-head). I have no firewall set up.

Here's the deal:

I configure the network and start the download/install and play with my
kid, do the dishes, etc.  and every time so far I've found the machine
after an hour or so with the progress bar stuck during an FTP transfer.
Every time so far I've given it the benefit of the doubt and just let it
sit. After about three to eight hours with no progress, I finally decide
that the tranfer has either timed out or my system is hosed. I have been
once and I have had to start all over again after the second timeout or
whatever. This is my fist experience with BSD, but I don't think I'm
doing anything wrong. I am just about ready to spring for a SCSI
controller card and use my Sony CD to install your lates rel.

Advice?

TIA,

Ben Copeland