Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:25:32 +1000
From:      Fraser Tweedale <frase@frase.id.au>
To:        Analysiser <analysiser@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Passphraseless Disk Encryption Options?

--jAJnlX6Iz2QeVWJH

On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 10:22:21AM -0700, Analysiser wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I=E2=80=99m trying to perform a whole disk encryption for my boot drive t=
o protect its data at rest. However I would like to have a mac OS X-ish ful=
l disk encryption that does not explicitly ask for a passphrase and would b=
oot as normal without manual input of passphrase. I tried to do it with gel=
i(8) but it seems there is no way I can avoid the manual interaction. Reall=
y curious if there is a way to achieve it? Thanks!
>=20
>=20
> Xiao

If the machine is on a trusted network, and if networking
capabilities are available in the boot environment, you can
coordinate with another host to decrypt the secret key and boot
without operator intervention.

In the scheme proposed in [1] the secret is encrypted locally and
sent to a trusted server for decryption (TLS protects the secret on
the wire).  A variation of this protocol that does not expose the
secret to the decryption service or on the wire is being
investigated.

You can watch a demo[2] of the system in action.

The tech is all very Red Hat-centric at the moment but the general
approach or the specific protocol could be implemented for FreeBSD.

[1] http://www.freeipa.org/page/Network_Bound_Disk_Encryption
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlyDmhhVgXEc

Cheers,
Fraser