Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:45:42 -0700
From:      "Seth Hieronymus" <sethh@principia.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   all my curses programs are screwed up

I installed a new installation of FBSD on a computer yesterday, and somewhere
in the middle of the installation (I think it was while scp'ing a large number
of files, eg a directory -- I know I should tar them up), something gets
screwed up, and now every program with curses does not work.  sysinstall just
shows a bunch of q's and x's where there should be color bars, and the arrow
keys exit you from the program.  In vi the arrow keys and page-down/up don't
work, and scrolling down past the first page just runs all the lines over one
another.  In nano, the arrow keys work but scrolling is broken.  Oh, the arrow
keys work in the terminal.

It happened twice.  I reinstalled from cd which fixed it the whole thing, but
then I scp'ed again, which if my theory is correct broke it again.  The
install was 4.4 release, which I then cvsuped and world and kernel built to
4.5 stable, which didn't fix it.  Rebooting does not fix it.  I've tried
setting all the terminal settings back to normal values with stty.  I've tried
resetting the terminal with tset.  I've tried reloading the keyboard map to
various mappings with kbdcontrol.  Nothing that I could think of works.

It seems to be related somehow to my question a little while ago about why
arrowing to the first column in vi takes you out of insert mode.  Now, every
arrow responds the same way -- something is breaking up the escape sequences.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Seth Hieronymus