Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 2002 03:05:09 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing question

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> I would like to be able to make the FBSD box present all packets to the
> tun0 of the form 10.0.2.0/24 NOT my assigned IP.
>
> For every machine on my LAN this is what actually happens but because
> the FBSD machine can pass packets directly to the tun0 device those
> packets have the assigned IP.
>
> The main reason this is a problem is writing firewall rules. I have to
> bend over backwards to make sure I don't block my tun0 IP.

Maybe you could seek some help with your ruleset?  Writing a ruleset
for a NAT'ing router with a dynamic public IP gets tricky, but there
are ways around it.  You can build a ruleset that will work entirely
independant of your public IP if you're willing to rely on your ISP's
routing configuration.

> Note that I'm running 'ppp -alias' but it is the same situation where
> your ISP allocates you some address space but gives you a tun address in
> a different subnet (see Telstra BigPond Direct).
>
> I could swear someone told me how to do this and I wrote it in my log
> book but of course I can't find it..

Disable NAT.