Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 02:13:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Mourad Lakhdar <992C396651@stud.alakhawayn.ma>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need help

>         hi :

Hi, Mourad.

> when loading the kernel , i have the following error :
> the following file system had an unnexpected inconsistency:
> /dev/rwd0s1e(/var)
>

> >       file system failed help!
> >try to enter the full path shell or --------

If you press the enter key, you'll get a shell prompt.  Then if you run

	fsck /dev/rwd0s1e

the fsck program (which is what gave you the error message) will give you
a chance to decide what changes should be made so the filesystem can be
used.  While you're in single-user mode, you may as well cat /etc/fstab
and run fsck on any other filesystems.  Just be sure to add the "r" (if
the fstab has a /dev/wd0s1f, do "fsck /dev/rwd0s1f").

Data is likely to be lost, so your backups (if you have any) may
come in handy.

> how to resolve this problem , to enter the freebsd interface, and complete
> the kernel load

The real problem is likely that the computer crashed or lost power.  If it
lost power, you might look into a UPS or just tell the people who have
access to it not to suddenly power it off (I have no remote users, so I
just press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to leave from X, then Ctrl+Alt+Delete to shut
down).  If you can't avoid the problem, you should probably stop using
soft updates, if you're using them now.  I've gotten more corruption when
they're enabled before a crash.
__
Trevor Johnson