Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2013 16:47:36 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IT security and pentesting tools on FreeBSD

On 29/12/2013 15:50, Polytropon wrote:
>> I developed an MSc course in "ethical hacking" a few years ago, and I
>> >used FreeBSD throughout (not Linux). The big ones you missed off the
>> >list are SARA (Security Auditor's Research Assistant) and Metasploit.
>> >SARA was an NMAP-type scanner that looked for vulnerabilities (including
>> >the NVD Database). Unfortunately it's no longer being updated:-(  And
>> >you also have ot port it to FreeBSD yourself - so trivial I don't even
>> >remember doing it.
> If that's possible, it sounds interesting.

I don't think there was a port of Metasploit Framework when I first used
it - and it was written in perl then. It wasn't hard.

I guess my point is that these things require less effort to get working
on FreeBSD than you might think, and I had no problem running courses in
a FreeBSD-only shop. I preferred the predictability of FreeBSD to the
Linux alternative.

Regards, Frank.