Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:50:05 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Mushroom TheCat <thecatm@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 Stability

At 10:39 PM 3/23/2000 -0800, Mushroom TheCat wrote:

>10 Min's later I had an error message on the build of
>fetchmail that implied that I needed the compat22 and
>3x libs.

If you build these from the ports, (i.e. from the source) you do not need
to install the previous libs...

>I started the /stand/sysinstall program and selected
>the required distributions.  I chose the same
>setting's as before (ie FTP) and then selected the
>master site at ftp.freebsd.org.  The machine just hung
>at the logging onto freebsd.org screen.

It sounds like you might have needed to set ftp to PASSIVE mode.

I tried a number of different combinations of ftp site
>and even tried to install some packages which worked.
>
>I also had the same problems with downolading the
>ports collection via /stand/sysinstall/ which failed.
>Eventually I resorted to using ftp manually and
>collecting my components from the command line
>(learning a lot about the install process at the same
>time).  Worthy of note here is the fact that mget
>failed on ftp once, it just hung the Xfonts.
>
>All a bit strange as I then did an ftp install of 3.4
>and had not a single problem.

OK, it sounds like all you had were some problems with sysinstall and
ftp.  I dont recall the exact error message, but if your external IP that
you are proxying from has a DNS PTR/A record mismatch, sysinstall will not
work on many sites.  But it also might just have been an issue of not
setting passive mode on sysinstall.

Remember, sysinstall is just one application on FreeBSD. For better or
worse, it can be a moving target, and sometimes users will catch it in a
state of flux as you might have now.  But dont take that as an indicator of
the general stability of the OS.  If you are going to install stuff, stick
with the ports, as they tend to be updated faster.  Generally, once you
have installed the OS, you dont really need sysinstall anymore and you can
set and configure everything directly in the various files in /etc

         ---Mike