Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 20:06:06 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <Malcolm.Kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Shantanu Mahajan <freebsd@dhumketu.cjb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: burncd -- possible problem

On Thu, 15 May 2003 03:38, Shantanu Mahajan wrote:
> +++ Malcolm Kay [freebsd] [14-05-03 22:39 +0930]:
> | I'm not sure whether I have a problem burning CD-Rs -- certainly
> | I don't understand what I observe.
> |
> | The OS is FreeBSD 4.7-release.
> |
> | I take a commercial CD-ROM and copy it as an image with:
> | # cp /dev/acd1c natins.cd
> | which creates the file natins.cd of around 673400*1024 bytes
> | without any apparent problem. (I can't remember the exact size
> | but was certainly a multiple of 1024).
> |
> | # md5 natins.cd
> | and
> | # cat /dev/acd1c | md5
> | produce identical results.
> |
> | Now inserting a blank CD-R:
> | # burncd -f /dev/acd1c data natins.cd fixate
> | runs apparently normally and without error.
> |
> | But now
> | # cat /dev/acd1c | md5
> | produces and IO error and a different checksum
> |
> | # cp /dev/acd1c natins.back
> | produces the same IO error and a file 8*1024 bytes
> | shorter than natins.cd.
> |
> | If I strip off the last 8k from natins.cd and compare the
> | result with natins.back I find they are the same.
> |
> | When I look at the last 8*1024 bytes stripped from natins.cd I
> | find these are all zero (ie NUL).
> |
> | Re-running burncd on a new CD-R blank repeats the result
> | exactly; i.e. IO error 8k short of the size of the original but the
> | rest matching.
> |
> | As a mounted cd9660 file system the copy appears normal and
> | the visible files test identical to those on the original.
> |
> | Questions:
> | Is what I'm observing normal when writing with burncd?
> | Do I have a hardware problem?
> | Is this due to some bug in burncd?
> |
> | Should I worry about this or just ignore?
> |
> | Malcolm Kay
> |
> | ------------------------------
>
> =09*suggestion* (works perfectly for me)
> =09instead of
> =09# cp /dev/acd1c natins.cd
> =09try
> =09# dd if=3D/dev/acd1c of=3Dnatins.cd bs=3D2048

Tried that except I forgot bs=3D2048 so it didn't work.
But file produced by cp looks fine and command executes without
reporting an error.

> =09and then
> =09# burncd -f /dev/acd1c data natins.cd fixate

This also appeared to go well -- no error reported.

> =09Also try mounting natins.cd with help of vnconfig

Did that; again no problems.

Problem only appears when I try to reread the completed=20
new CD copy as a complete image.=20

Then 'cat /dev/acd1c' and 'cp /dev/acd1c natins.back'
both report read errors and don't transfer what should be the last 8k byt=
es.
(I don't have the disk on hand at the moment but I'll try 'dd' on the wri=
tten
 CD when I get to work tomorrow.)
=20
However the created disk mounts OK and I am not able to find errors in it
as a mounted file system.

Have you written disks with burncd and then tried to read them as an imag=
e?

Shantanu,
Thanks for your thoughts and also yours, Eduardo.

Malcolm