Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 12:59:51 -0400
From:      Mike Heffner <mheffner@cowpie.acm.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic: mutex vm not owned

The machine is up for about one minute and then I ran `startx' and the
screen turned black and it appeared to lockup, after about 30 seconds
plus some banging on the keyboard it rebooted. I have 256mb ram, so it
shouldn't be swapping at this point. The kernel and world are cvsupd
to about 12am May 20 EDT, the following is the panic message:

panic: mutex vm not owned at /usr/src/sys/vm/vm_object.c:330

This was the first time I've tried getting a crashdump and analyzing
it, however when I follow the directions in the handbook, gdb
seg. faults (could this be because it panic'd in the vm system ??) :

enterprise# pwd
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BUTTER
enterprise# gdb -k
GNU gdb 4.18
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd".
(kgdb) symbol-file kernel.debug
Reading symbols from kernel.debug...done.
(kgdb) exec-file /var/crash/kernel.0
(kgdb) core-file /var/crash/vmcore.0
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I also have DDB in my kernel config, but it didn't drop into DDB. Is
there anything else I can test? I'm willig to test any patches or
whatever.

Thanks,

Mike

--