Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:03:02 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster AWE 64 -- good choice?

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 11:59:19PM +0100, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> The specs for the AWE64 Value claim 90dB SNR, for the Gold 100 (or was
> that 110?) dB SNR.

That may be, but independantly measured results show closer to 40-45 dB SNR.
My ears also hear lots of hiss (I have a SB AWE64 "Value"), although it is
audibly less than a 'Vibra' Soundblaster 16 (I have one of these as well).  It
would be very hard to get above ~96-97 dB SNR, since that is near the
theoretical maximum for 16 bit audio.

The Soundblaster 64 AWE probably does have ~90dB SNR at 1KHz (or whatever
the industry standard for measuring is)...  Most cards get noisier as the
frequency goes up.  They could also be measuring the output SNR instead of
input SNR.

--
Zach Heilig (zach@gaffaneys.com)
Our one strength was that our senior officers were more flexible than theirs...