Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 23:02:32 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Jeff Gray <jwg@netbox.com>
Cc:        Questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sound Card Suggestion

Jeff Gray writes:
> Running 2.2.6 and now would like to put in a sound card.  The
> archives suggest awe32/creative labs

Really? The usual advice is *against* Creative Labs Soundblasters as
documentation on how to program the things is all 3rd hand reverse
engineered. Plus things like full duplex is only sometimes possible on
the newest SB's.

Crystal Semiconductor has excellent documentation for their chips, as
used on the AOpen cards and other places. I purchased an AOpen AW37
not-Pro. Mine doesn't work quite right for me, yet. Others have not had
the problems I have had but they were using the Pro version (which has
features FreeBSD doesn't use but a slightly different chipset). But with
the excellent documentation from CS I think I can see the light at the
end of the tunnel. If I'm right, the patches will be forwarded
appropriately for review to be included in FreeBSD.