Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:45:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to create another account with root privileges ?

Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@video2video.com> wrote:
 > What -is- that toor (root backwards) account for anyways??

It has /bin/sh as login shell instead of /bin/csh.

Of course it's pretty much useless, as you can use "su -m"
to get the shell that you want, no matter which login shell
is configured for the root account.

 > Is there a command similar to vipw that uses a simpler editor, like pico?

I'd suggest you read the vipw(8) manpage.  Then you will
probably want to do something like this:

# export EDITOR=pico
# vipw

 > I always log in 100% of the time to my box as root and my shell is tcsh

Big mistake.

 > Does it matter that (I think) I changed the shell for root?

It does not matter, and you shouldn't do that.

It is advisable to log in as normal user, and _only_ su to
root when you really need to have superuser priviledges.
Using "su -m" will give you the same shell that you have as
normal user, no matter which login shell is set for the
root account, and it will also use your own shell profiles.
This is particularly useful when multiple people are admi-
nistrating a machine -- everyone can use his own favourite
shell when working as root, without having to set up any-
thing special.

By the way, you can go back to your normal user shell with
the "suspend" command, and return to the root shell with
the "fg" command, so you don't have to use "su" and type
the root password again and again.

When going to single-user mode, init asks you for the shell
to be used (/bin/sh being the default), so there is really
no point in changing root's login shell.

Regards
   Oliver